Thursday, June 5, 2014

Addicted

Many of you already know that on May 30th, 2014 I made a bold pledge on my Facebook page:
no shopping for new clothes, shoes or accessories (hello Holy Trinity) until my 42nd birthday on September 6th, 2014.

Are you crazy?

Why would you do that?

You...of all people?

I give you one week!

These are a handful of the responses I got -- none of them surprising.

It is widely known that I love shopping and approach it with the commitment of an elite athlete. After 8 years at Nordstrom, it's almost expected but I have loved shopping since a young age.

I vividly remember shopping not only at Nordstrom Fashion Valley with my mom and sisters (think first bra, first pair of shoes in the women's department moments) but also Bullock's in Mission Valley -- the building that is now Macy's Home Store.

My mom still has one of my all time favorite childhood dresses in her ceder chest -- none other than a YSL blue pin-dot sailor dress with white cotton and lace collar and red grosgrain bow.  Heaven.  I'll have to dig up a picture of me in it for TBT.  It's a wonder Jennifer pledged Delta Gamma and not me in college given the nautical flair I fell in love with back then...

As an adult, for many years now, shopping is what I do to escape, to relax, to feel creative, to feel attractive.

Shopping is what I am do when I am happy, when I am sad, when I am bored, when I am home or when I am on the road.

It fills my time and when I am not shopping, likely I am planning my next trip or making my next list or on my phone making my Nordstrom Wish List even longer.

When I recently found an Old Navy bag with 6 new items in at just sitting in my closet -- it gave me a moment of pause.  Wow -- I guess I shop so much, I don't even know what I have.

Then -- that thought got a little deeper -- can I stop if I want to or am I addicted?

This "shop my own closet" challenge will certainly be a way to get in touch with that possibility.

Have I been tempted this week? Yes!

Have I shopped?  No!

Admitting it is the first step.

It's going to a long 90+ more days but I think I can do it.  What I know for sure is that I will learn a lot about myself during the process.

Want to join me and not shop too?  Supporters welcome!  God knows you could come shop my closet and find WAY more than you could ever need!

Thanks for following and thanks for your support!
xo
Margaret


No comments:

Post a Comment