Tuesday, June 17, 2014

As long as you are not standing still.....

For a few years, I was a religious Jazzerciser.

5:30am class, Monday through Friday.  Weekend classes too if I was feeling motivated.

I loved it.  It was like going to church.  A place where you could get away, feel good, and refocus.

Cherie and Christy, my instructors, helped me start so many days off right.

It was a healthy ritual that made me very happy.

When my travel schedule picked up for my Nordstrom job, I had to stop going.  I was simply gone too much to make it worth the money.

I had to trade the ritual that I loved for the job that I loved.

Needless to say, my current job keeps me on the road even more than before.

It's pretty hard to drive down the block for a morning exercise class if you are never sleeping in your own bed.

This week, I was home on Sunday morning and I was about to rush off to the gym and then I remembered....wait, there is an 8:30am class.  I'll go to Jazzercise instead.

I drove to class, so excited that I could "plug back in" for an hour and go back to a place I enjoy so much.

As luck would have it, it was "free class week" and I sailed right in and grabbed a spot in the back.

Given that I don't go to class anymore, I did not want to stand in the front if I don't know what I'm doing.

Susan, the owner, is the most amazing woman and I was so glad to see her smiling face when I walked in.

Monica, a woman who I used to see at the 5:30am class all the time, is now an instructor and she was teaching.

Felt like it was meant to be...

The music started and a smile spread across my face.  The warm up song was "Alive" by Krewella, the song that I use as my "entrance song" during my Lincoln Academy trainings.

(long story as to why I have a song....)

As class got going, I got lost in the music and the hour passed by so quickly.

At one point during class, Monica did a piece of the choreography wrong -- but I never would have known that.

She corrected herself and said "well, I guess it does not really matter what we do here as long as we don't stand still."

As long as we don't stand still....

At a place like Jazzercise, the focus is on the fun -- the fitness comes when you just let go and dance.
There really is not a right way or a wrong way to do it as long as you are not standing still.

What a great metaphor for life....as long as you don't stand still, you are doing it right.

There are so many times in life when we stop and don't move or don't act for fear we are not doing it right. 

My guess is -- as long as we are not standing still and doing nothing -- we are doing it right.

I made myself a promise after that class to go back to Jazzercise as much as I can whenever I am in town.

I want to be in a place where I can let go, have fun and dance.
A place where, as long as I am not standing still, I am doing it right.

Thank you El Cajon Jazzercise for being one of those places where it just feels right.
Thanks for teaching me not to stand still.

Readers -- play your entrance song and dance any time you can.  As long as you are not standing still, you are doing it right.



No comments:

Post a Comment