Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Everyday Miracles

After writing yesterday's post, I felt drained, but in a good way.  Being so open and honest was very tough but, at the same time, quite exhilarating.  Like peeling off your cover up and letting your skin feel the sun after a long winter...like I had literally stripped down a layer and uncovered what was hiding underneath.

They say that God (the universe, whatever) only gives you what you can handle....and today was proof of that.

One of the very first questions I was asked today (by a 23 year old man who later told me his mom is a year YOUNGER than me) was -- "Margaret, do you have any kids?"

I used to dread that question and believe me, it was asked of me over and over by family, friends and perfect strangers the entire time we were struggling with infertility.  I winch just thinking about how hard that question used to be not only to hear, but to answer.

Today, I just smiled and laughed a little at the perfect timing of it and with true peace in my heart, I said to Juan:

"It was never in the cards for my husband and I. We are surrounded by lots of great kids but none of them are ours! Why do you ask?"

"Oh, I have my first on the way, due in November, and I'm so excited about it!"

For almost 15 more minutes, I got to feel Juan's joy, nervousness and excitement as he shared his story with me.

It was an honor to listen to him and to see such happiness on his face. 

His story not only made me marvel at the miracle of life but also the miracle of healing.

It is amazing what time and love and the support of so many can do to heal a heart (mine) that once was filled with so much sadness.

Back in 2006 or 2007 (more to come on the challenges of that year in a future post) -- I would have done anything to avoid answering that dreaded question.

Today, I felt such joy for Juan and so much peace in my own heart.  It truly is a miracle.

There is a card on my dresser that says: I don't think we know our own strength until we have seen how strong love makes us.

I am so lucky and so blessed that the love of so many healed me and gave me the chance to move on and return to a life full of hope, full of strength.

A miracle? Maybe not....but I think it might be.

No comments:

Post a Comment