Thursday, June 12, 2014

Why gild the lily?

During a particularly poignant Good Friday service (many years ago) Monsignor Portman, widely known for his dramatic and touching homilies, got up and said -- "I'm not sure what else I can say. Today, Good Friday, is the reason why we believe. We die and we rise and we believe in redemption and resurrection. What else can I say? As my mother told me many times, why gild the lily?"

He turned around, walked back to the altar. Homily over and the service continued.

Today, during my workout at the gym, I had a "why gild the lily?" moment and I am turning my blog over to this story today.  When I saw it this morning, I just knew I had to share.

Not sure there is anything I can say that is more powerful than this story....make sure to watch the video too....

http://www.today.com/news/homeless-d-c-valedictorian-earns-full-scholarship-georgetown-2D79795428



No comments:

Post a Comment