Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Confidence (part two of Body Positive)


 
Confidence (part two of Body Positive)

I have been thinking a lot about this word lately after a few people told me that they thought I was confident.

It is not a word I have ever really used to describe myself but I think they are right so I started examining where my confidence comes from.

The first thought I had was this: well, when you are born a twin and you have never known the feeling of going anywhere and never been without a built-in support system, how could you not turn into a confident woman?

Add in an older sister who is only 18 months your senior and it is almost like being a triplet.

I never faced any situation alone -- new school year, new activity, new people. From preschool through college, I always had someone by my side anywhere I went. I never knew the fear of walking into a class, a party, or a new situation alone.

When you always have a wingman, how can you be scared or nervous? Sometimes it is tough to be confident alone, but it is not when you always have support.

I am also a naturally talkative and outgoing person so that can come off as confidence as well.

But where does confidence come from? How have I become strong enough, bold enough, carefree enough to appear confident to others?

My thought is that confidence comes from love and it comes from acceptance -- self love and self acceptance but also the love and acceptance of others.

When we love and accept ourselves, and have a support system that backs up our own self love and acceptance -- confidence comes a lot easier.

Kudos to my parents for raising all three of us in an environment where we could be ourselves and do what we liked while they loved us no matter what.

Jennifer played Little League and I took tap dance and that was cool.

My sisters studied and I was social -- that was cool too.

I was not told I had to be a doctor or a lawyer or anything other than what I wanted to be.

I could make decisions and be confident that they loved me and supported me no matter what.

I have a husband who regularly says "do whatever you want to do as long as it makes you happy" when I tell him about changing jobs, changing my hair, whatever....

Some of you might now that I am obsessed with an Alisa Michelle cuff bracelet that I own.  I wear it as much as I possibly can. In fact, I am wearing it right now.

It says: Be confident. Too many days are wasted comparing ourselves to others and wishing to be something we are not. Everybody has their own strengths and weaknesses and it is only when you accept everything you are - and are not - that you will truly be successful.

We are good at different things, we are gifted with different purposes in life.

We are different shapes, different sizes, different people but if love and acceptance surround us - who are we not to own who are and be confident?

As long as we embrace everything we are and are not, every strength and every weakness we have, why not do it with confidence?

Be confident.  Too many days have been wasted being anything but.....





No comments:

Post a Comment