Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Chances

"There was once a chance I didn't take."    No one really ever wants to start a story with this phrase. Wouldn't you rather say "I took this chance once and..."?

Chances, they are a funny thing. Chances pass us by so often... but is it because we don't grab hold of the opportunity or because we just aren't aware? Are there days when we just don't see those opportunities? Or do we see them and too afraid to risk it? 

In my life, I have tried to take a lot of chances. Let's not confuse that with risk, I like to play things pretty safe.  But most of the time, I won't let a chance to smile, love or create pass me by. I am human though and there are days we just get caught up in life (not the fun parts) and almost blindly go through our day. Recently, a few friends mentioned their mottos for the year: Say YES to life! and Why Not?   The days I doubt, want to slump or just stay in my cave of comfort, I remember these little tidbits.

Taking chances leaves you with no regret. You won't have to ask What if? if you know you have embraced it.  There will be failed moments, times you just don't feel like walking through that open door and like all the world is against you. It will get sloppy, full of tears and irrational thoughts.
        But, shoot, wouldn't you always be wondering if you just took that chance?

Risk it, gamble it, make yourself luckier but don't think that things fall into your lap by chance.  Open those eyes and do it.

Grab hold of every chance you get. Jump at the chance to express your emotions. Dance at the chance to sway and laugh hysterically every chance you get.

I know I've danced without abandon, giggled until my tummy aches and shown more emotion than most people are comfortable with.  If I continue this, I am happy knowing that I gave life my all, and am still prepared to do so.


Share with us: How are you saying yes to life, getting messy and taking that chance to discover something new?


1 comment: