Monday, January 28, 2013

Keep calm & carry on: day 8

Let me tell you a little about my day.

I think it was the no caffeine and no dairy talking but I seriously wanted to order a bacon cheeseburger at the vegan restaurant I went to for lunch -- both for the sad irony and for the simple fact that it sounded amazingly delicious -- even though I became a vegetarian in May.

Then a guy who cut me off flipped me off when 5 blocks later he stopped in the middle of the street and I lightly tapped (ok, laid on) my horn.

Annoyed might be a good word to describe today.

Then I remembered the sign I had seen in the street before arriving at said vegan restaurant (no irony in its name: Loving Hut) and was flipped off by the crappy driver -- CALM DOWN.

Today the words "keep calm and carry on" became more than a slightly overused and many times over ripped off British poster.

Today I needed those words -- CALM DOWN, KEEP GOING. KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON.

Not sure if it's the lack of Diet Coke and ice cream or the hormones or what but I was in dire need of a sign like that today.

Ironically, in order to calm down I might normally have drank coffee or eaten chocolate -- no such coping mechanism today. I had to just breathe, acknowledge how annoyed I was feeling (for no reason at all), and just keep on.

It wasn't easy and I can't say it won't happen again -- but I can return to my mantra and relax.

We all have days like this. What do you do to "keep calm and carry on"?



No comments:

Post a Comment