Monday, January 21, 2013

Faith is taking the first step when you don't see the whole staircase - MLK

Today is the first day of a 21 day writing challenge that I just signed up for a few hours ago.
It seemed like a great idea at the time, in the middle of the gym.
"Hey!" -- I said to myself while sweating on the stationary bike -- "this post on Facebook is totally cool. I should totally do this! It will keep me motivated to blog every day!"
I just got day one's assignment in my inbox 15 minutes ago.
Want to know what my first thought was?
"Damn, I actually have to do this now. I signed up and now it's real."
I closed my email, thinking -- "I'll just do it later, can't really think right now."
5 minutes passed.
I opened the e-mail again. I was not too fired up about the writing prompt. Almost closed the e-mail again.
"Hey, wait!" I said to myself (am I the only one who says Hey! to myself?)
"There's another option, a quote of the day. Wait, that's one of the many MLK quotes I put on my Facebook page today. I should be able to write about that!"

Faith is taking the first step when you don't see the whole staircase. - MLK

Without knowing this was an MLK quote, I actually used these words back in October to announce to my FB friends that I had left Nordstrom after 8 years to do something totally new and different. Definitely a first step with no staircase in sight.
Creating a new list to guide me (and our growing 13x13 group) and deciding to blog about it with Michelle -- first step.
Signing up for a 21 day writing challenge -- first step.

The day I turned 40, I decided it would be best to live this new decade one day at a time. It's a phrase I have repeated over and over to myself since 9/6/2012 (which is also the day I started my new job) and you know what -- it works.

Each day, each step -- enjoying it, being present to it, living it fully. It's hard not to want to know what's around the next corner, what's coming next. Believe me, I worry and I wonder. I then have to remind myself -- one day at a time.

I'll live 2013 that way and approach the writing challenge that way -- one step, one day at a time with faith that all is well.

Thanks for being on this love.luck.purpose journey with me, with us!




No comments:

Post a Comment