Monday, February 4, 2013

Day 15: Wings on the way down.....

"We have to continually be jumping off cliffs and developing our wings on the way down." - Kurt Vonnegut

For almost 5 months before I left my last job to become a consultant, there were many days that my gut said -- "just quit your job, there is something out there for you!".

I can't say I ever jumped off that cliff (for fear of being accused of listening to the voices in my head) but when the opportunity arose for me to find my wings and leave, I jumped at the chance.

There were many times after I first left that I felt exactly two things -- the blissful happiness and freedom that comes with working for yourself and being your own boss coupled with the "oh, shit -- I have no security and don't know exactly when this job will end".

I've learned to live with that mixture of joy and fear and become more comfortable with the idea that (without sounding irresponsible) it does not really matter what is coming next. What matters is enjoying the now.

It can seem very risky, maybe even foolish, to jump and then find your wings -- but, what a ride!

Tell us about how you want to develop your wings.

No comments:

Post a Comment