Friday, February 15, 2013

To love and be loved (Valentine's Day post one day late)

I was watching Oprah's interview with Nate Berkus a few days ago and he said something that struck me. He was speaking about his boyfriend (who died tragically in the tsunami) and the framed art he created that still hangs in his home. He said "it reminds me of the WAY he loved me".

It hit me -- I was so lucky to be loved unconditionally by my parents. The WAY they loved me was always and no matter what. Their love for me was (and still is) not based on what I did or did not do but on who I was. I never had to prove to them that I deserved to be loved or do anything to earn it. It was a given, no matter what. What a gift!

I am blessed to have a husband who does the same -- he loves me completely and totally.
Grumpy, cheerful, stressed, happy -- all the same to him. And I love him right back!

The WAY people have loved me helps me to love them and others the same WAY. No one is perfect but BEING loved that way helps me love that way -- completely and unconditionally.

How have you been loved? How does that impact the way you love? How can you find ways to love yourself?

No comments:

Post a Comment